HL: How to pick the best dog food for your pooch
When it comes to feeding your pooch, you always want only the very best. However, it can be difficult to assess what’s right for your furry buddy if you’re not an expert at dog nutrition. While homemade food is nutritious for you, it is not quite as healthy for your dog, as it can lack certain nutrients and in some cases, even be toxic. Various items like garlic, onion, raisins etc, can cause serious damage to your dog’s health. At the same time, it can be confusing to choose packaged dog food too, owing to the countless options available today.
It’s important to know that treating your pooch to a hearty and wholesome meal doesn’t require you to spend lavishly. All you need to do is choose a product that offers complete nutrition, is expert-backed and reasonably priced. Here are some more pointers:
TIPS TO KEEP IN MIND WHEN CHOOSING DOG FOOD
- The right product will be specially formulated with the vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre needed by dogs to stay healthy and happy at various stages of life, from puppy to adult
- Check for the optimal balance of nutrients from recommendations by NRC (National Research Council)
- The right product for puppies ought to contain vitamin E to support natural defense and dietary fibre to support digestive health; and calcium and potassium to support healthy bones and teeth
- The right food for adult dogs would contain vitamins and minerals to support natural defense; dietary fibre to support digestive health; and quality proteins to support healthy muscles.
- When introducing your pet to packaged dog food, make sure to consult your vet before. Do it gradually over a course of 7 days.
- Don’t forget to check the back of the package for storage instructions.